Let’s talk about clearing you and your space.
There are many ways to clear yourself of unwanted connections, calm overwhelming emotions, or dissolve errant energy just hanging around. Many of these methods involve physical items.
- Salt – good clean salt is Mother Nature’s natural energy neutralizer. It can be used as a cleaner, clearer or protective substance. I prefer to have a container of a good natural sea salt on hand all the time. You can use sea salt, ancient mineral bed salt, or Himalayan salt. Stay away from processed and iodized table salt for clearing purposes. Crystals and stones can be cleansed on a bed of pure salt. If you are experiencing overwhelming emotions, taking a hot bath with a cup of sea salt dissolved in the hot water is amazing for calming your being and helping you find center again.
- Clean Mud – is a good cleanser as well. Stones can be placed on a dry bed of clear mud. And you can bathe in a bath of mud same as you can with salt. Directions for how much to use usually come with the mud when you purchase it.
- Pennyroyal – is one of my personal favorite clearing substances. It only takes 4-6 drops of a good pennyroyal essential oil in a spritzer bottle filled with water. You can lightly spritz the mist over entire rooms. And you can concentrate over people’s heads, or over places people have been sitting. The scent is delightful and it immediately lightens the mood and clears the space of unwanted energies.
Also, pennyroyal is a natural insect repellent. You can use it to discourage mosquitoes, fleas, spiders, ants. It won’t kill them, just makes the environment less attractive.One thing to note is you don’t want to use pennyroyal oil if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant. A small spritz should not hurt you, but too much of it ingested into the system can cause an abortive effect, so don’t use this one in those circumstances. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Sage – is a wonderful clearer. Indigenous people of the Americas use sage all the time in ceremonies for clearing and cleansing. I use it to clear people to help balance their energy, by holding a smudge stick and fluffing their aura with it in a specific fashion. Most often I use sage smudge sticks to clear whole rooms. You wave the smoldering sticks close to the ground and let the smoke cleanse upward. There are lots of places to learn how to use smudge sticks, and some native religions are quite emphatic about how to use it, so I won’t try to explain, if it calls your being there are places to learn more about it online. But I suggest having a smudge stick around for when it is just the right thing to use. And really sage and pennyroyal together is perfect… use the smudge stick close to the ground and clear upwards and out, and then spritz the pennyroyal water from above and let it refresh on its way down. It’s a powerful combination. Especially if you use affirmation intentions while you do it.
- Camphor – is a really heavy duty cleanser. If you suspect someone has used magic, or someone has harmful thoughts toward you, you can use camphor to cleanse the space, but it’s messy and can be toxic if you don’t know how to use it, so just note that it is usable for extreme measures.
- Rose oil and other essential oils – you can get into other essential oils and aromatherapy to cleanse and clear specific emotions and thoughts. Rose oil, eucalyptus oil, spearmint, lavender, tea tree oil and pine seem to be some of the most popular essences to work with.
- Incense – Then of course there is also incense. Lots of people including myself love the effects of a good incense. I particularly like sandalwood for meditation.
Also, there is a great guided exercise I created for clearing errant connections or energetic ties to other people or unwanted energies in your space. It’s called Mowing the Lawn and takes just 5 minutes to accomplish. You can download my audio version freely here. You can use it anytime you like. It very much helps.
I generally keep on hand: a spritzer of pennyroyal oil in water, a smudge stick, a container of sea salt, a couple good types of meditative incense, and a handful of other essential oils. I find that almost everything I need to do in the area of clearing or cleansing can be handled with this magical kit of natures kitchen.
And remember, it’s a good idea to clear yourself before and after you set out to use your intuitive abilities. It may not be necessary, it’s just good practice.